Saturday, June 25, 2016

Our County Coroner Has His Own Show on Investigation Discovery

This guy works only a few streets from me, probably two or three miles from my front door.

I drive past the Dauphin County Coroner and Forensic Center fairly often. South 28th Street happens to be a great shortcut actually.

I'll look forward to seeing the show.

Somewhere (thrift shop I'm guessing) I picked up one of their t-shirts with a body's form outlined on it. It reads, "Death is certain. Life is not."

Graham Hetrick has always fulfilled his important office with dignity and his comments in our local newspapers reveal him to be an intelligent and compassionate man. He recently commented on how discouraging it is that he ends up being the next to last stop for so many young people, victims of homicide. For most of his career, that was not the demographic case.

Now I'm thinking of the opening short story in Stephen King's collection Everything's Eventual, which I read last week. That's a short story about an autopsy being performed on a living (paralyzed) person who cannot speak or move to sound the alarm that he is still alive. Think Poe updated. Spoiler alert: this tale of a near-vivisection has a happy ending. I wonder if Graham read that one. King actually gives the story a humorous spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment