Friday, February 15, 2019

I Was Looking for a Book by Robert Gregory

Last night, I had this urge to revisit one of Robert Gregory's books.

I found one of his books, but not the particular one I was looking for. I kept hunting and hunting in different rooms of my house.

Later, I googled him and was sorry to learn that he had passed (August of last year).

I couldn't find a full obituary anywhere. He was living in Lexington, where he was associated with the University of Kentucky.

I didn't know the man except through a few exchanges back when I was more involved in the publishing side of the small press world.

His poetry has an obdurate originality. It's plain-spoken and otherworldly, at once.

If you'd like to read something really interesting that memorializes his unique mindset and voice, check out his Ants in the System: Beginning to Think Strongly About Stories.

I'm grateful for people like Robert, those ones I've met only in spirit. I still feel accompanied by the books. This is one of those enduring mysteries of life for me.







No comments:

Post a Comment