Sunday, June 25, 2017

"Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy"

On my morning walk today, begun before dawn and finished shortly after it, I heard a bird calling "Jeremy! Jeremy! Jeremy!" from a tree in front of the tallest apartment complex in town.

It's great that Google can give you answers to natural conundra like this.

The ornithologically-inclined seem to come together in a consensus that what I heard was a Carolina wren.

But when I listen to this recording of a Carolina wren, it's not quite there. I don't think the consensus was correct.  I found a site where someone was asking for help with identifying what must be this exact species of bird. Because this person specifies that the articulation of the name "Jeremy" is almost perfect, very human-like. And you really have to imagine hearing "Jeremy" in that recording of the Carolina wren. It's not that close. So I don't think that's the right species of bird. Also, the person who posted the same query which I had wanted to pose specified that he only hears the bird between six and seven in the morning. And this would have been exactly the time I heard this bird, just after six a.m.

Other suggestions were that the bird might be the Eastern towhee or the common yellowthroat, but when I listened to song recordings of these birds online they did not seem to match up. I did learn one of the species of wrens can be heard chattering "teakettle, teakettle, teakettle." Why are these bird calls so often in the form of trinities?

The bird made me think of a childhood friend. Funny how memories are summoned.

Here is a fun page of Mnemonic Bird Songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment