Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Dead Eye

When the camera died, I grieved.

Eventually, after the period of possible healing through sympathetic magic had passed, I began to pick at its organic damage. At first, I did this gingerly with the right tools. And then I went on into primate grief and picked at the dead eye the way Oedipus would have.

I did monstrous things to this eye (myself). I pulled the broken shutter out (it is nothing more than cheap plastic in 2015 or 2014, whatever year). It was like pulling a scab off a retina. It felt horrible and liberating.

And then...strange vision!

It can see. Without its shutter. It can record. There is still a sensor. Oh, things are wrong but things are always wrong.

I want to go outside with it.

You work with any handicap, any color or lean to space.

"You will be okay," I tell it.

I can't tell if it believes me. It is a brute animal. Divine. One never knows.


No comments:

Post a Comment