Sunday, June 5, 2016

Maybe Nicholas Barclay is Alive

Just watched the excellent documentary The Imposter (I'm sure I saw parts of this before) and had my mind blown (again) by this stranger-than-fiction true life tale.

It's like something David Mamet would dramatize.

I felt that sad certainty that the disappearance of Nicholas Barclay would never have a happy ending, that this was a child abduction or that perhaps the child was murdered by one of his friends or enemies. He was a street kid and got into some hairy situations.

Well, that was what I believed while watching the documentary. That is because one very interesting piece of information about the disappearance of Nicholas Barclay was not included in that documentary.

While the nearly quarter of a century that has elapsed since the child's disappearance certainly does not bode well, there is this one bit of information I learned just now online that gives me pause and makes me wonder. This paragraph struck me:

Nicholas' mother said that her son occasionally displayed aggressive behavior in 1994. He has a juvenile criminal record after he broke into a convenience store and threatened a teacher. His court hearing to determine his placement was set for June 14th, a day after Nicholas vanished. A possibility for Nicholas was for him to be placed in a group home which he was opposed to.

That timing has to make one wonder.

And several family members were heroin addicts at the time (in recovery a long time now) so the home life was contentious and probably threatening.

It might be only a sliver of hope, but I think there is a possibility Nicholas might be a thirty-five-year-old man living his life somewhere.

If he is alive, I hope he finds the forgiveness to contact his family.


No comments:

Post a Comment