Monday, February 20, 2017

Gil Ott's Pact (2002)

I was reading in an old issue of the venerable, Philly-based TO magazine yesterday and today. This particular issue's focus was fiction, and featured almost exclusively non-normative narrative writing and hybrid forms of writing.

I remember being impressed with Gil Ott's fiction in this issue. This was way back in the nineties. I wondered how these pages would hold up, all these years later.

They held up admirably. The three short pieces by Ott included in this issue are stellar. Two of the stories are decidedly creepy. One is supernaturally skewed. All are rife with pathos.

I wondered if Ott's fiction had been published in book form and found these stories had been packaged as "prose poems" and included in Pact.

I suppose one could go with that designation. Labels are superfluous things.

In any case, I'll order this book in the near future. I'm happy that it exists.


No comments:

Post a Comment