Thursday, May 26, 2016

Shaker Art

I am fascinated by Shaker art (and bygone Shaker life).

I think what really intrigues me is how the Shakers were open to revelation from the spiritual world, on principle, as a daily occurrence. I think this is what so often gives their art a cosmic beauty. And then I think the Shaker tradition of "gift drawings" is a very beautiful one. If you read the text on the somewhat Blakean drawing of roses below, you will see these were spiritual communications. For people who didn't have congress with other bodies, this was probably as intense as sex, this form of heightened exchange. I like that art was elevated as a form of divine communication in this religion.

Did you know the Shakers (who were celibate) believed that God was bisexual?  This was because we are told in the Bible that God made both man and woman "in His own image."













No comments:

Post a Comment