Monday, May 23, 2016

Best Movie Quote This Year

The quote I can't get out of my head, and which always makes me smile, is this one from the recent genre-renorming "horror" film The Witch:

"Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?"--Black Phillip.

Hear that as a Satanic whisper of temptation, like the voice Satan used in the wilderness when he wanted to try the soul of the son of God.

This movie had such a stellar ensemble, all actors unknown to me. The three youngest child actors all delivered performances I want to call Oscar-caliber. So did the other young actor, the oldest sibling, the young woman coming of age who is the crux character of the film. I suppose she was a child actor too. She's on that borderline between child and adult, a fact which drives much of the drama of this film, which is very slyly about the subconscious motivations which emerge in families, as much as it is about witchcraft.

That line above, by the way, is delivered by a goat, by the Devil, by the Devil in a goat.

I might even nominate the goat for an award. Black Phillip gave a terrific performance. Menacing, brooding. And it isn't always easy to gore people on cue, despite what you might think.

Oh, also the cinematography is wonderful in this film. Mad props to Jarin Blaschke.

I can't wait to see what director Robert Eggers does next. (Any relation to Dave Eggers?)

This was a smashing debut.


No comments:

Post a Comment