Saturday, December 31, 2016

(little painting by Annette Labedzki)

Here is a little painting by Canadian artist Annette Labedzki.

I bought this because it felt like a magic little talisman (could use an apotropaic talisman right now) and because it was so affordable. Also, I wanted it because it is buoyant and beautiful to me.

The artist sells her work on EBAY and I recommend you check her out. You could own an original painting or mixed media work for a price that is sure to surprise you. The artist is very prolific and there is a really wide range of styles from which to choose.

I first discovered her work on a site dedicated to surveying American outsider art. Labedzki actually resides in Canada, so maybe the site is Pan-American in focus despite its stated intention.  I was surprised how many of the artists on that site regularly sell their work on EBAY. Most of these artists seem to be very prolific, which I suppose is in keeping with the archetype of the outsider artist.

This piece is in a style I think of as "shoegaze abstraction." (I love painting in that modality.) The work by which she was represented on the outsider art site was more art brut magical realism with a figurative base. The figures themselves are not always strictly human. Other creatures abound and the therianthropic is a recurring motif in this artist's work. The artist seems to favor creating a very energetic field. The works often feel jazzy, almost intoxicated.

This piece feels much more zen to me. But this is that "shoegaze abstraction." I'm guessing this style might be her yin to balance out her yang. We all need a good yang balancer.






No comments:

Post a Comment