Thursday, August 1, 2019

Thank You, Benjamin Franklin...



I've been enjoying this c.d. of compositions written for (and given interpretations on) the glass harmonica.

In case you've forgotten, this is one of Franklin's inventions.

Some of the pieces are well-suited to adaptation for this instrument. Others, eh, not so much.

I'm not a big fan of pieces that include too much high range playing on the glass harmonica, as the instrument can rapidly become shrill and grating. Glass can sound as though it's being tortured.

But many of the compositions that avoid that pitfall have that lovely, otherworldly feel.

I find this is good music for when I'm doing busywork that requires just a minim of creativity.

Sad that the first piece on the c.d. is one I usually feel the need to fast-forward over. I was looking over at my one cat to see if she was as annoyed as I was. She seemed oblivious. The second piece redeems the c.d. ,though, and there is much more good stuff to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment