Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Arrivals / Departure / Ocean

I'm really enjoying reading the current issue of Modern Haiku, edited by paul m. I'm very happy to have poetry in this issue.

This is a classic magazine with a storied history. I collect back issues as I find them on various bookselling sites.

The history of the editors:

Kay Titus Mormino, Founding Editor, 1969-1977
Robert Spiess, Editor, 1978-2002
Lee Gurga, Editor, 2002-2006
Charles Trumbull, Editor, 2006-2013
Paul Miller, Editor, 2013-present

As you can see, the magazine is enjoying its Golden Jubilee this year. Congratulations, Modern Haiku!

Thanks to editor paul m, whose work you should really seek out if you love poetry.  He has a gendai streak I grok.

I also received in the mail a wonderful labor of love zine from Maine, Letterfounder. Editor Jessy Kendall is keeping the Age of Zines alive. No end date in sight. I was quite honored when he wrote me out of the blue to ask for a poem he saw online, which is included in this issue. It's neat to be in an issue with Malok and Terry Gilliam. And it's still rad (in 2019, seven years after the Mayan  Apocalypse) to receive a letter written in ink on paper asking one to send some more poems, and on paper please? I will write some more and send some more. On paper. It feels like an act of defiance, in an age when the growing consensus is that print itself is an anachronism. No! Print's heart, like a certain Canadian talk show staple, will go on. Ooh...staple. I made a zine pun without even intending. I'm imagining a shrine of staples as a conceptual art object.  Thanks Jessy, see you again soon through the eye of paper. You inspire me.


I've just begun mourning a love, so talking about happy things feels like looking through a window at a festive gathering I can't really join. We just lost our one cat after seventeen years of sharing every day with him, except for short travels elsewhere. When we adopted him and found out he had feline leukemia, we were told to expect a short lifespan, that he might die in the first few years or improbably make it to ten. But he remained vibrant and never really had any serious health issues. He just suffered the decline of old age, as all of us do. Chronic kidney disease is a tough one to beat. We've spent many days of the past year adjusting to his disability and trying to cater to him. He knew he was loved and I'm happy to know he never experienced cruelty in this life, that he felt safe and secure, that he felt special, and that he still enjoyed some of his favorite things within days of the end. His going was peaceful and he was surrounded by his loved ones. I will have to write a proper story about his interesting life. It would be better if he could have told it. But we make do with what we have here.

I've begun to realize shaping absence is something that never ends. I don't think I've suffered a single serious loss in which the process of shaping that absence is not ongoing and constantly changing. Ghosts don't stay in the same clothes and they don't even wear the same face forever. Keep watching your goners. You are a part of their afterlives.





No comments:

Post a Comment