Wednesday, June 20, 2018

The IAFOR Vladimir Devidé Haiku Award 2018

On rare occasions, I submit things to contests and then forget to follow up on them.

So I just accidentally learned (while trying to find something I once posted somewhere) that I was a runner-up in this international haiku contest.

I really like the selections the judge made. Some other haikuists I admire quite a bit were runners-up and commended.

Thank you, Dr Drago Štambuk.

Here are some really great haiku collections and anthologies I have been reading over and over (because the poems change constantly).

Feathers from the Hill, W.S. Merwin (1978)

The Haiku Anthology, Cor van den Heuvel (1999)

Zen Poetry: Let the Spring Breeze Enter, Lucien Stryk, Takashi Ikemoto (1995)

Nick Virgilio: A Life in Haiku, Raffael da Gruttola (2012)

Haiku in English: The First Hundred Years, Kacian, Rowland, Burns (2013)

Haiku Moment: An Anthology of Contemporary North American Haiku, Bruce Ross (1993)

breakthmarks, Gary Hotham (1999)

Haiku 21: Contemporary English Language Haiku,  Lee Gurga & Scott Metz (2011)

Book of Haikus, Jack Kerouac (ed. Regina Weinreich) (2003).

And anything I can find by Chris Gordon.

There are others too, but these were the first books at hand. I would heartily recommend all of those titles and associated authors.

I should add that the Haiku Foundation has made available an overwhelming number of haiku collections (going back decades) on their fine website. I often stop in there too.

These prisms never get old for me.















No comments:

Post a Comment